Friday, March 25, 2011

Just Us Girls 77 3D challenge....zip to it!

Woohooo!  The day is here!  Just Us Girls 3D challenge day and this week I am so excited to challenge you to make a zipper flower.  You may remember {my post} using one of these texture rich flowers a couple weeks ago.  If you'd like a TUTORIAL for the kind of zipper flower I made, please check out the tutorial I wrote on the Want2Scrap blog
The challenge this week is to make any sort of flower with a ZIPPER! 


Eeek!  I love that baby pink/silver toothed combo for my flower.  Delicate but tough at the same time :) Perhaps a little inner rocker chick/80's hair band love is showing here?  ;) I topped my flower creation with a great silver toned button using fabri tac.


I also tried a little color on colored cardstock shading via the Papertrey Ink Make it Monday 7 challenge.  I a stamped wild wasabi ink PTI Fillable Frame 4 on PTI chartreuse paper and then used a grey copic to shade between the outside border and the inner dotted border....very subtle.  I then re-dotted the dotted border with black.

This zipper flower also needed a fun stick pin.  I grabbed a yellow leaf topped quilters pin and I used embroidery floss to make two fluffy pom poms to thread onto my needle along with a craft pearl.  Check out my yarn pom pom tutorial {here} for how to make pom poms.  I used the dangling green embroidery floss ends to tie on craft pearls for a fun free moving element.

I also altered a scanned vintage bingo card so that the "bingo" letters now spell out "GR*OW" for my card.  I love simple do it yourself touches like this!  Feel free to grab this for use in your own projects.  I hope you'll leave me a link in the comments on this post if you use it.  I love to see what you make. 

Are you ready for more inspiration from the JUGs DT?  Check these fine crafty ladies out!
Thank you Alyssa for all of your wonderful creations in March!

Thanks so much for coming by today!  Can't wait to see all the cool flowers this week!
Photobucket
Paper: Papertrey Ink, MME
Bingo card digi: Dana Gustafson
Stamps: Papertrey Ink
Bling and butterfly: Want2Scrap
Die: Papertrey Ink
embosser: cuttlebug
Craft Supply:  metal rimmed tag, craft pearls, embroidery floss, button, pin

Photobucket

13 comments:

Elise said...

THIS is an absolute drippy, shimmery, bejeweled and sensational medley of EVERYTHING a crafty girl's thoughts are MADE of - SISTA friend - YOU DID IT, AGAIN! Could I LOVE this anymore? I think NOT! THIS is just a festival of WHY a girl should craft! SINCERELY! This little beauty ROCKS as hard as the big hair bands, BACK in the day!

{I wouldn't ACTUALLY know a THING about the 80's, but I've been told - I'm MUCH too young!}

hee hee

KimCreate said...

Dana, Are you kidding me with how gorgeous this card is! OMG. I'm going to go look for a metal zipper in the old clothes stored in my basement.
Thanks for the bing card. I hope to use it soon
Kim

~amy~ said...

simply chock full of goodness...the card...the tut...the freebie...thanks so much sista for all the inspiration!

Lisa Kind said...

Absolutely lovely, Dana! I love not only your flower, but your pom-poms, altered bingo card (how cool is that one?), and your dangling pearls! Such a cool technique this week!

Rebekah said...

Oh my! This is gorgeous Dana!!! I need to try those zipper flowers. Yours is very feminine:)

Andrea M said...

Dana - first of all, AWESOME 3D challenge!!! I wasn't sure how I'd do with a zipper flower but it was great!!! I wish I sis have one with metal teeth though - they have a bit more charm :) I LOVE your card!!! It's shabby to perfection! Your zipper flower and pretty button are just too pretty for words! SO lovely!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this card. So many fun details to look at. Inspiring!

Kathryn B said...

Hello Dana! What a beautiful card chalk full of so much wonderful eye candy! Love the little pops of color with the pom poms and the brad in the middle of your flower is awesome! Love your altered bingo card your so clever! I hope to get a chance to play with it too! Thanks for this fun 3-d challenge! I loved it!

LeAnne said...

Wowza, this is fabulous! And thanks for the Bingo card! I just could not see myself making a zipper flower, so I'll just gaze at all those who did! Love your little pompoms, too--cute!

Tigriswillreign said...

Wow! This is incredible!

Alyssa S said...

Wow!! This is so, so pretty! Adore that zippery little button added to the center - perfection!
I'll have to take a Benadryl and try your technique with the needle and thread...you know, since I'm allergic to those things and all! lol Thanks so much for a fun challenge!!

Jocelyn Olson said...

Seriously, this is the most fabulous card! I need a Valium to calm down after seeing that zipper flower (maybe that's my inner-80s rocker chick ;) Those pom poms are super cool!

Karen said...

Heck yes, I remember that first zipper flower you made and I'm sure I'll remember this one for some time too! Also love you getting your digi on and customizing your Grow Bingo card. You're rocking it, friend! :>